Updated: Apr 24, 2022
If you are like me and are obsessed with anything pretzel, you need to try this recipe. It's soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, what's not to love?
Prep-time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 8 rolls
285g strong bread flour
1 tbsp plant butter
150ml warm water
1 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of sugar
1 liter water
50g baking soda
1. Add flour, salt, sugar, and instant yeast to a large bowl and mix it together with a whisk until it's all combined.
2. Add butter to the bowl and start mixing it at low speed while you gradually add warm water. When all the water is gone put it on medium to high speed and let it mix for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and add oil, this will make it easier to take the dough out once it's proved. Add the dough back into the bowl, put a tea towel on top, and let it rest for 1 hour.
4. Cut the dough into 8 pieces, make sure you weigh them all if you want them to have the same size. Let them prove for another 30 minutes.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
6. Add 1 liter of hot water to a medium/large pot. Slowly add baking soda and when that's all done it's time to give the rolls a little bath.
7. Add 2 rolls into the pot and let them boil for 30 seconds on each side. When it's been 1 minute in total, they're ready to come out. Make sure when you take them out you scoop them from the bottom (see video), so you don't ruin the appearance.
8. When all the rolls are done it's time to make a cross in them, use a sharp knife or a razor blade to do so. Add them to the oven and bake them for 15-20 minutes.
Always keep an eye on the bread, if it starts to brown a bit too much you can add tin foil on top until they are fully done.
Optional to brush with butter right after cooking, it makes them taste even better but they do lose some of the crispness.
More Tasty Recipes